“Influencing motivated professionals to make a difference”
I am a third generation "recovering" lawyer who, prior to establishing John Chisholm Consulting in 2005, was a Partner, Managing Partner and Chief Executive of 2 leading Australian law firms for more than 20 years.
My time with those law firms saw them transformed into market leaders in their fields.
I established my own consultancy to share my expertise and experience with professionals looking to move beyond the traditional firm model which essentially leverages people x time x hourly rate.
As a practising lawyer I was well placed to experience first hand both the benefits but also the drawbacks of the professions billing their services solely by reference to time. I have worked with many professional firms (and their customers) around the world assisting them with both a mindset change, and the practical implementation and application of, moving towards a timeless pricing model.
This has seen me become a leading advocate for not just law firms but all professional firms to:
- change their business model by first moving away from pricing their services solely by time;
- stop using ineffective performance management ‘tactics’;
- change their internal measurements, rewards and compensation; and
- implement alternatives to the partnership model.
For those professionals willing to do so, the result is a knowledge firm rather than merely a product or service firm.
Knowledge firms have far happier clients and team members that are more committed, creative and entrepreneurial than traditional firms. They use a pricing strategy that is no longer limited by people or hours but linked to the value they create for their clients.
In 2018 I also co founded the Innovim Group an international advisory practice that equips knowledge firms to transform for success by helping them to understand the value they create and how to capture that value with strategic pricing.
My services include advising on:
- Value Based & Subscription Pricing - moving to a timeless culture.
- Firm and group strategy development, including client selection
- Group planning / retreat facilitation & presentations
- Partner performance & partnership compensation
- Business models, structures & governance
I provide one on one coaching, mentoring and personal development to a number of professionals looking to move their individual practices to the next level.
I am also a:
- Senior Fellow - VeraSage Institute – an international think tank devoted to professional firm pricing, leadership and strategy
- Adjunct Professor of Law - La Trobe University Law School 2018-2021
- Fellow - College of Law Practice Management
- Distinguished Fellow-Centre For Legal Innovation 2020-2021
I am a regular contributor and commentator to various world wide publications including the legal press and numerous blogs and a speaker and presenter at industry events. I have chaired and sat on several professional firm and industry boards and committees and was a long-time presenter for the Leo Cussen Centre for Law, Law Institute of Victoria, Law Council of Australia,College of Law Australia and the Centre for Legal Innovation.
What about me personally?
Karen and I have been married for over 40 years and have four beautiful grown up children and four wonderful granddaughters.
In 2017 we made a sea-change to the Bellarine Peninsula in Victoria and we love this new found lifestyle.
Outside family, my major interests are our friends, food and wine, painting & drawing caricatures, travel, open water swimming and sports generally but specifically Australian Rules Football; especially Geelong Football Club and Ormond Amateur Football Club.