“Influencing motivated professionals to make a difference”
I am a third generation recovering lawyer who, prior to establishing John Chisholm Consulting in 2005, was a Partner, Managing Partner and Chief Executive of 2 leading Australian law firms for more than 20 years. So I’ve seen a lot of what to, and what not to do, to succeed in the legal profession.
My time with those law firms saw them transformed into market leaders in their fields.
I established my own consultancy to share my expertise and experience with professionals looking to move beyond the traditional firm model which essentially leverages people x time x hourly rate.
This has seen me become a leading advocate for professional firms to:
- move away from pricing their services solely by time;
- stop using ineffective performance management ‘tactics’; and
- implement alternatives to the partnership model including partner compensation.
For those firms willing to do so, the result is a knowledge firm rather than merely a product or service firm.
Knowledge firms have far happier clients and team members that are more committed, creative and entrepreneurial than traditional firms. They use a pricing strategy that is no longer limited by people or hours but linked to the value they create for their clients.
My services include advising on:
- Pricing and Value Based Pricing - moving to a timeless culture.
- Firm and group strategy development, including client selection
- Group planning / retreat facilitation & presentations
- Partner performance & partnership compensation
- Business models, structures & governance
I also provide one on one coaching, mentoring and personal development to a number of professionals looking to move their individual practice to the next level.
I am also a:
- Member - Law Council of Australia
- Adjunct Professor - La Trobe University Law School
- Senior Fellow - VeraSage Institute – an international think tank devoted to professional firm pricing, leadership and strategy
- Fellow - College of Law Practice Management
I am a regular contributor and commentator to various publications including the legal press and numerous blogs and a speaker and presenter at industry events. I have chaired and sat on several professional firm and industry boards and committees and am a long-time presenter for the Leo Cussen Centre for Law, Law Institute of Victoria, Law Council of Australia and more recently the Centre for Legal Innovation.
What about me personally?
Karen and I have been married for nearly 40 years and have four beautiful grown up children and two wonderful granddaughters.
We recently made a sea-change to the Bellarine Peninsula in Victoria and we are loving this new found lifestyle.
Outside family, my major interests are our friends, food and wine, painting & drawing caricatures, travel, swimming and sports generally but specifically Australian Rules Football; especially Geelong Football Club and Ormond Amateur Football Club.